As the nation’s largest integrated remediation and facility services firm, Northstar works in a wide range of clients and industries.
We provide them all with the security of experience, technical expertise, single accountability, compression of schedule timelines, cost containment and reduction, and a broad national reach. Because Northstar offers a range of facility-based services on a national scale, we work with many companies and organizations with multiple facilities across the country, including hotels, banks and health care systems.
City. County. State. Federal. Northstar Has Done It.
A large industry group we serve is government, which includes projects at the local, state and national levels. In 2004, nearly one-third of our work was for government clients – from environmental remediation to decommissioning and decontamination, and from mold remediation to demolition work. We’ve performed large-scale cleanup and restoration projects on military bases, office buildings and Department of Energy legacy waste sites.
Northstar has built a solid reputation among government agencies for completing work on schedule and in the safest and most cost-effective manner possible.
- Air Force
- Army Corps of Engineers
- Coast Guard
- Customs and Border Protection
- Department of Energy
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Federal Aviation Administration
- Food & Drug Administration
- National Park Service
- National Nuclear Security Admin.
- Naval Facilities Engineering Command
- US Postal Service
- Washington Headquarters Services
The safe decontamination & decommissioning experts.
Northstar supports the Department of Energy’s Environmental Management (EM) Program to decontaminate, decommission, and demolish obsolete nuclear weapons production and research facilities and associated sites throughout the U.S.
The DOE’s EM Program has successfully closed various sites such as Rocky Flats, Fernald and the Mound, and this program continues to reduce the footprint across the US from these legacy operations. In addition, Northstar has been a leader in the decommissioning of university and research nuclear reactors and facilities licensed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
Northstar offers services ranging from full decontamination and decommissioning (D&D) to facilitate NRC license termination to asbestos and hazardous material abatement, facility demolition, decontamination services in all types of radiological environments.
Northstar provided superb project management and oversight. Their attention to detail and safety created a smooth and efficient work environment that brought the project to completion on time and budget. -Rich Holm, University of Illinois
KEY CLIENTS & PROJECTS
- ABB – Combustion Engineering, Windsor, CT
- Accelerated Remediation Company (ARC)
- Bechtel Jacobs Company LLC, Oak Ridge, TN
- BWXT Y-12, LLC, Oak Ridge, TN
- Connecticut Yankee
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- DOE Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant, Paducah, KY
- DOE Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant, Piketon, OH
- Fluor Fernald
- Fluor-B&W Portsmouth, LLC
- General Electric
- Hematite Nuclear Fuel Processing Plant, Festus, MO
- Idaho National Laboratory, Idaho Falls, ID
- Kerr McGee
- LATA Environmental Services of Kentucky, LLC
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Magnox Ltd., Chapelcross & Trawsfynydd, UK
- North Wind, Inc.
- Nuclear Fuel Services, Inc.
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
- Phelps Dodge
- Point Beach Nuclear Plant, Point Beach, WI
- University at Buffalo – SUNY, Buffalo, NY
- University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
- University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- UT-Batelle, LLC
- Westinghouse Electric Company
- Y-12 National Security Complex, Oak Ridge, TN
Helping utilities consolidate assets & re-power America.
As the power generation industry transitions its stations to safer, more energy efficient technology, the need for specialized expertise in decommissioning and demolishing shuttered units and entire facilities is critical to meeting those goals.
The work approach demands solutions that consider tight working conditions and limited equipment access due to adjacent operating units, highly-secure sections of the site, nearby environmentally-sensitive areas, and road and pedestrian traffic.
Northstar has led the way for 27 years to decommission and demolish some of the nation’s largest, most complex power plants coast to coast, and everywhere in between. Our expertise in challenging demolition has earned Northstar annual ranking as the world’s top demolition contractor since 2007 by Demolition and Recycling International (D&Ri) and nation’s top abatement contractor since 1999 by Engineering News Record (ENR).
Not only does Northstar bring expertise in the demolition of shuttered power plants, we typically perform the abatement and removal of support facilities, including storage tanks, underground utilities, tunnels, and other infrastructure, and excavation of footings and foundations. If the goal is to completely restore the site to its natural state, Northstar can do that.
A key differentiator in our approach is our waste management methods, also known as “smart demolition.” These methods – recycling, asset recovery, and waste management for LEED – aim to maximize re-use of deconstructed material and divert waste from landfills, a key goal of public utilities today.
KEY CLIENTS & PROJECTS
- A.M. Williams Station, Goose Creek, SC
- Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica
- Avon Power Plant, Martinez, CA
- Boston Edison Plant-Mystic Station, Everett, MA
- Brunner Island Power Plant, York Haven, PA
- Calpine Edgemoor Plant, Wilmington DE
- Cinergy Power Plant, Cayuga, IN
- Consolidated Edison Power Plant, New York, NY
- Delmarva Power & Light, Millsboro, DE
- Dynegy South Bay Power Plant, Chula Vista, CA
- Exelon Cromby Plant, Phoenixville, PA
- Exelon Eddystone Plant, Eddystone PA
- Exelon Three Mile Island, Londonderry, PA
- Genon Chalk Point Generating Plant, Aquasco, MD
- Genon Dickerson Generating Plant, Dickerson, MD
- Hopkins Generating Station, Tallahassee, FL
- Key West Steam Plant, Key West, FL
- Stock Island Steam Plant, Key West, FL
- Main Plant Area, Oak Ridge, TN
- NRG Devon Power Plant, Milford, CT
- NRG Dunkirk Power Plant, Dunkirk, NY
- NRG El Segundo Power Plant, El Segundo, CA
- NRG Huntley Power Plant, Tonawanda, PA
- NRG Indian River Power Plant, Indian River, DE
- NRG Long Beach Power Plant, Long Beach, CA
- NRG Mountain View Power Plant, Redlands, CA
- NYPA Charles Poletti Power Plant, New York, NY
- NYPA Robert Moses Turbine, Massena, NY
- PECO Energy Generating Plant, Chester, PA
- PG&E Danville Power Plant, Danville, CA
- PG&E Folsom Power Plant, San Francisco, CA
- PG&E Humboldt Bay Power Plant, Eureka, CA
- PG&E Hunters Point Power Plant, San Francisco, CA
- PG&E Potrero Power Plant, Pier 70, San Francisco, CA
- Philadelphia Electric Company, Richmond Station
- Philadelphia Electric Company, Delaware Station
- Philadelphia Gas Works, Philadelphia, PA
- PSE&G Transmission Towers, NJ
- Rochester Gas & Electric, Rochester, NY
- Shuffleton Power Plant, Renton, WA
- TECO Bayside Power Plant, Tampa, FL
- TECO Gannon Power Plant, Tampa, FL
- TECO Hooker’s Point Power Plant, Tampa, FL
- Topaz Energy Nueces Bay Power Plant, TX
- Trigen Power Plant, Boston, MA
- Valero Powerhouse #3, Paulsboro, NJ
- Western Electric Power Plant, MA
- Xcel Arapahoe Power Plants Denver, CO
- Xcel Cherokee Power Plant, Denver, CO
Mitigating the hazards involved with industrial work.
Industrial facilities often have special requirements involving hazardous materials when work is being done on site. At Northstar, we work with facility managers and operations personnel to identify and evaluate potential hazards and develop strategies to complete projects safely and cost-effectively.
Our experienced teams include project managers and a work force that are comfortable working in industrial environments and that understand the hazards that may be present. Before we begin work, each site is visited by one of our safety officers to be sure that we are working within code and legal parameters to protect not only our employees, but any other employees or contractors who may be on site.
- General Electric
- Hewlett Packard
- Johnson Controls
- Lockheed Martin
- US Gypsum
Oil & Gas
- British Petroleum
- Dow Chemical
- Exxon Mobil
- Marathon Oil
- Valero Energy
From High-Rise Office Complexes to Airports.
Hundreds of companies have relied on Northstar to keep their buildings and facilities healthy and safe for their employees and customers. In our 20-year history, we have successfully completed projects at banks, airports and office complexes across the country. In fact, more than 40 percent of our work involves commercial buildings.
Because so many of our clients have multiple facilities across the country and around the world, we often work under Master Service Agreements (MSA), which provide clients with preferred status, prenegotiated agreements and, where desired, prenegotiated pricing.
- Goldman Sachs
- JP Morgan Chase
- Liberty Mutual
- Time Warner
Keeping Schools and Educational Institutions Safe.
Northstar has worked with school districts and educational facilities across the country on a variety of mold remediation, demolition and abatement projects.
In fact, in 2004, Northstar was involved in the cleanup, abatement and repair of all 20 buildings in Martin County School District in Stuart, Florida, after they sustained damage from several hurricanes. And, after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005, LVI worked on large-scale cleanup projects at educational facilities along the Gulf Coast.
Northstar has also done a variety of demolition and abatement projects in educational institutions, including lead paint and asbestos abatement and interior demolition at large colleges and universities.
- U of Arizona
- U at Buffalo
- U of Illinois
- U of Washington
- UC Berkeley
We Work Discreetly So You Can Keep Selling.
Northstar has extensive experience with large-scale environmental remediation work in retail properties varying in size from strip centers to large malls, performing projects for both owners and tenants.
Because of the depth of our experience in this market, we understand the sensitive nature of undertaking projects such as asbestos abatement and demolition while clients remain open for business. We work as discreetly and unobtrusively as possible to eliminate interruptions to retail functions.
- Bank of America
- Home Depot
- JC Penney
- Sears Holdings
- Wells Fargo
International Resorts Or Local Motels – Rest Easy.
From interior demolition to managing implosions, from mold remediation to restoration after water intrusion, Northstar has a long history of working with some of the world’s most recognized hotel chains.
We have been involved in many projects that required discretion to ensure hotel owners and property managers remain open for business while renovations and remediation projects are under way. Our national scope assures clients with multiple facilities across the country that we can be on site quickly when needed.
- Ritz Carlton
- W Hotels
Protecting Patients During Renovation and Construction.
Hospitals and health care facilities across the country are undergoing expansions and renovations to accommodate new technologies and increasing demand from an aging population.
To ensure safety, we work with health care facility administrators and general contractors to design and implement an infection control program, a series of engineering controls and physical barriers to prevent airborne contaminants from entering patient care areas during nearby renovation or other construction activities.
Our staff keeps current with guidelines issued by government and industry organizations, including the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, American Institute of Architects, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Fire Protection Association. And our director of restoration is a chemist, toxicologist and industrial hygienist certified by the American Society of Healthcare Engineering.
- Cedars Sinai
- Children’s Hospital
- Mass General
- St. Jude
- University of Oklahoma
- Yale New Haven